HISTORY

The history of Lundy Chapel Missionary Baptist Church is a testimony to God’s faithfulness, the perseverance of His people, and a legacy of ministry that spans more than 150 years.

The first worship service of Lundy Chapel Baptist Church was held in 1868 under a bush arbor on Lundy Road (now Old Lundy Road), property owned by Albert Lundy, father of Dr. Charles Lundy, founder of the first African American hospital in Macon, Georgia. Rev. Dan Parsons served as the church’s first pastor.

Between 1868 and 1886, the faithful members of the congregation determined to establish a permanent place of worship. Through the generosity of Mr. Monroe Tharpe, who donated the framing materials, a log cabin church was constructed under the leadership of Rev. Dick Brown. Although the building was later destroyed by fire, the faith and commitment of the congregation endured. During this period, a church split occurred in 1886, and the first documented trustees of the church, including Brother Charlie Bowman and others listed on the 1886 deed records, helped preserve and advance the church’s mission.

Seeking a new place to worship and raise their families in a Christian environment, Brother Charlie Bowman approached Judge R.S. Lundy for assistance. Judge Lundy graciously deeded a parcel of land approximately one mile off Forest Hill Road for use as a church site, with the stipulation that should it ever cease to be used for worship services, ownership would revert to the Lundy Estate. This act of generosity provided the foundation for generations of ministry to come.

Throughout its rich history, Lundy Chapel has been blessed with faithful pastoral leadership. Pastors who have served the church include Rev. Dan Parsons, Rev. Dick Brown, Rev. Espress, Rev. Jones, Rev. H.C. Cain, Rev. L.H. Hendrix, Rev. O.R. Redding, Sr., Rev. Lewis E. Lockett, Rev. Wallace B. Herring, Sr., Rev. James H. Hall, Rev. Dr. Anthony Q. Corbett, Sr., and currently Rev. Alexander Montel Gibson.

In 1963, under the leadership of Rev. L.H. Hendrix, a new church building was constructed at 2081 Forest Hill Road. The property had originally been purchased from the Bibb County Board of Education by a group of concerned citizens for use as a community clubhouse. As property taxes continued to increase, the trustees voted to transfer the property to Lundy Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, ensuring that it would remain a place dedicated to ministry and community service.

A transformative chapter in the life of the church began on April 5, 1998, when Rev. Dr. Anthony Q. Corbett, Sr. was called to pastor Lundy Chapel. Under his visionary leadership, the church experienced extraordinary growth spiritually, numerically, financially, and physically.

On June 18, 1999, Pastor Corbett unveiled “The Vision” God had given him to construct a new sanctuary. A Groundbreaking Ceremony was held on April 30, 2000, and on October 28, 2001, the congregation celebrated a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony and marched into the new sanctuary for Sunday School and the first worship service. This milestone marked the beginning of a new era of growth and ministry.

In March 2005, Lundy Higher Heights Community Enrichment Corporation was established as an extension of the church’s commitment to serving the community. The organization provides youth development programs, scholarships, educational resources, and support services designed to inspire, equip, and empower future generations. It also serves as a resource for community organizations seeking to develop impactful service programs.

On May 7, 2005, Lundy Wonderland Summer Day Camp was launched through Lundy Higher Heights Community Enrichment Corporation. The program offers academic enrichment, field trips, career exploration opportunities, and recreational activities for children throughout the summer. Today, the camp serves approximately 250 children annually and remains one of the church’s most impactful outreach ministries.

Continuing the expansion of Pastor Corbett’s vision, a Groundbreaking Ceremony was held on April 29, 2012, for Phase II of the church’s development—the construction of a Family Life Center that included an Administrative and Educational Building and a Gymnasium. On March 3, 2013, the congregation celebrated the dedication of these facilities, further enhancing the church’s ability to minister to both its members and the broader community. Today, the campus hosts worship services, educational programs, business meetings, basketball camps, weddings, funerals, banquets, and numerous community events.

On April 1, 2014, Lundy Chapel welcomed Rev. Alexander Gibson as its first Executive Pastor. In this role, he was entrusted with overseeing the day-to-day operations of the church, leading staff and volunteers, and serving as a liaison between Pastor Corbett and the congregation. His leadership, organizational excellence, and pastoral heart helped strengthen the church’s ministries and position it for future growth.

Throughout Pastor Corbett’s ministry, numerous men and women answered God’s call to serve and were licensed and/or ordained into ministry. These include Rev. Roosevelt Glover, Rev. Richard Vaughn, Rev. Tony Lowden, Rev. Anthony Stewart, Rev. Ernest Lawson, Rev. Alexander Gibson, Rev. John K. Coar, Rev. Tammie Dunlap, Rev. Nicholas Farley, Rev. Angela Webb, Rev. Allison Walker, Minister Jamekia Jones, and Minister Te’Shondra Rush.

In May 2025, the Lundy family experienced one of the most difficult moments in its history with the passing of Pastor Dr. Anthony Q. Corbett, Sr. His visionary leadership, unwavering faith, and immeasurable contributions transformed Lundy Chapel and impacted countless lives throughout Middle Georgia and beyond. His legacy continues to inspire the church and community he faithfully served.

Following Pastor Corbett’s passing, the church entered a season of prayer, healing, and discernment. For twelve months, the Lundy family gathered around the altar seeking God’s wisdom, strength, and direction for the future. During this pivotal season, Pastor Alexander Montel Gibson faithfully served as Interim Pastor, leading the church through grief while inspiring it toward renewed purpose.

Throughout this season of transition, God also provided a faithful partner in ministry through Lady April Gibson. Serving as Worship Leader and a devoted volunteer throughout the church, Lady Gibson helped create an atmosphere where the congregation could grieve, heal, and encounter the presence of God. Through her leadership in worship, encouragement of church members, and steadfast support of her husband, she became a source of strength and stability for the Lundy family. Her commitment to ministry during one of the most challenging seasons in the church’s history demonstrated grace, faith, and resilience, helping unite the congregation through worship, prayer, and hope.

Having served faithfully at Pastor Corbett’s side for twelve years, Pastor Gibson emerged as a steady and courageous leader during a critical season of transition. Under his leadership, the church launched the Nehemiah: Rise and Rebuild Capital Campaign, which exceeded its financial goals and received overwhelming support from both church members and the community. The church’s Word Study ministry expanded significantly, a telecommunications tower was added to the church’s property creating new opportunities for revenue generation, and after nearly a decade of inactivity, the Lundy Higher Heights Summer Enrichment Program was successfully revived.

This season also strengthened the bonds among the church’s leadership team and staff. As the congregation navigated grief together, relationships among ministers, administrative leaders, ministry directors, musicians, volunteers, and support staff grew stronger through shared service, prayer, and commitment to the church’s mission. What could have been a season of uncertainty became a season of unity. The staff rallied together around a common purpose, developing deeper trust, stronger communication, and a renewed sense of teamwork that positioned the church for future growth and effectiveness in ministry.

Pastor Gibson also helped restore fellowship among local pastors and churches, strengthened discipleship opportunities, and licensed two faithful young men into the ministry of preaching. During this season, church attendance increased, congregational engagement deepened, and the overall spirit of the church flourished through resilience, faith, and unity.

On the Third Sunday of June 2026, the members of Lundy Chapel Missionary Baptist Church overwhelmingly called Rev. Alexander Montel Gibson to serve as the church’s Twelfth Senior Pastor. His love for God, commitment to people, integrity, vision, and diligent service made him the clear choice to lead the church into its next chapter of ministry. Having grown up in the ministry of Lundy Chapel and served faithfully in multiple leadership capacities, Pastor Gibson now carries the mantle of leadership while honoring the legacy of those who came before him.

Today, Lundy Chapel Missionary Baptist Church continues its mission of Loving Constantly, Leading Compassionately, and Living Courageously Like Christ. The church currently owns 14.28 acres of land designated for future growth and expansion, positioning it to impact future generations for the Kingdom of God.

As we celebrate our past, embrace our present, and anticipate our future, we remain grateful for God’s faithfulness and confident in His promises.

To God Be the Glory for the great things He has done!